POWERFUL PRAYERS SERIES
James 5:13-18 (emphasis on verses 17-18)
BACKGROUND and SETTING
The nation of Israel was in decay look at the following order:
- King David had trouble in his family
- King Solomon was lead astray by foreign wives
- King Jeroboam (North)
- King Rehoboam (South)
Northern Kingdom had all evil kings.
Southern Kingdom had a few good ones.
Israel is at an all-time low all evil kings over 58 years since split.
Jezebel introduces Baal worship in an effort to stamp God out
- Suddenly appears on the scene
- He is from Tishbe (Gilead)
- Not much on his background
- His name means “My God is Yahweh”
- Elijah appears before King Ahab out of nowhere and challenges Baalism the god of Rain (weather god)
- You cannot expect God to move outside His will
- His will is His Word; God cannot counteract His Word. God is not a man that He should lie. His word will not return void but will accomplish wherever He sends it.
- Read Deuteronomy 11:8-17
- When Elijah goes to King Ahab, he gives him his word which was founded on God’s Word! If you want to have a powerful prayer, you have to know God’s Word.
If we are going to have a powerful prayer, we have to know the Word of God and base our prayers on that Word.
God Bless You!